History of South Dundas Resources List
Compiled by Laurie Jo McDonald, B.A. (Hons.), M.L.I.S., Historical Society of South Dundas (HSSD)
Iroquois Waterfront Historical Path. Opened on September 17, 2021. Consists of a series of historical/informational plaques located along the Iroquois waterfront path adorned with unique and interesting photos.
https://www.recorder.ca/news/local-news/historic-plaques unveiled-at-iroquois-waterfront- park/wcm/d212362a-7bf5-45fc-bd87-a8db05e07ce5/amp/
Morrisburg Waterfront Historical Path. Opened on September 14, 2019. Consists of 15 historical/informational plaques (including the Morrisburg Then and Now sign) located along the Morrisburg waterfront path adorned with unique and interesting photos. http://morrisburgmodelvillage.ca/pathsigns.html
Books, CDs, DVDs, Oral Histories, Articles & Websites
Boehmer, Carol. St. Peter's Evangelical Lutheran Church, 1826-1976, researched by Lutheran Church Women, 1976. St. Peter’s Evangelical Lutheran Church in Williamsburg, ON. Available at the SD&G Library, Williamsburg Branch for consultation https://sdglibrary.bibliocommons.com/v2/record/S167C38636
Burleigh, Nancy. History of Iroquois. Iroquois, ON: Iroquois Post, 1955-1956. In co-operation
with the Iroquois Women’s Institute and Iroquois Council. Available at the SD&G Library, Iroquois Branch for consultation https://sdglibrary.bibliocommons.com/v2/record/S167C55842 Also, reprinted in a series of articles in the Iroquois Post in 1970, with the first instalment on Aug. 5, 1970.
Carman, William B. Yeoman's service: being an account of the first Carmans from Kehl, Germany to come to America, their sojourn in Pennsylvania and New York, and their activities as Loyalist pioneers in Canada (1708-1840), Laguna Niguel, California, September, 1981.
Carter, J. Smyth. Doctor M.W. Locke and the Williamsburg scene, Toronto, ON: Life Portrayal Series, 1933. Available at the SD&G Library, Morrisburg Branch for consultation https://sdglibrary.bibliocommons.com/v2/record/S167C38577
Carter, J. Smyth. The Story of Dundas; being a history of the County of Dundas from 1784 to 1904. Iroquois, ON: The St. Lawrence News Publishing House, 1905. “A history of the County
of Dundas, Ontario (Upper Canada, Canada West) from 1784 to 1904. It is filled to the brim with information on the settlement of the county, topography, geology, agricultural development,
education, and politics.” Open access at https://archive.org/details/storyofdundasbei00cartuoft/page/n5/mode/2up Available at the SD&G Library, from several branches for consultation https://sdglibrary.bibliocommons.com/v2/record/S167C41845
Chevrier, Lionel. The St. Lawrence Seaway, Toronto, ON: Macmillan of Canada, 1959. Available at the SD&G Library, Winchester Branch for consultation https://sdglibrary.bibliocommons.com/v2/record/S167C39092
Coyne, Patrick. Reflections of the South Nation Watershed: a pictorial history of its people and natural resources, Burnstown, ON: The General Store Publishing House, c2001. Available at the SD&G Library, Long Sault Branch https://sdglibrary.bibliocommons.com/v2/record/S167C38276
Goldsworthy, Ryan. The Sword of Captain Michael Carman III: A material history of the War of 1812, pages 17-20, The Fife and Drum, Vol. 26, No. 2, April 2022. http://www.fortyork.ca/images/newsletters/fife-and-drum-2022/fife-and-drum-April-2022.pdf
Harkness, Adam. Semi-centennial of Iroquois High School, 1845-1895. Toronto, ON: W. Briggs, . Available at the SD&G Library, Iroquois Branch for consultation https://sdglibrary.bibliocommons.com/v2/record/S167C141003
Harkness, John Graham. Stormont, Dundas and Glengarry: a history, 1784-1945. Oshawa: Mundy-Goodfellow Printing Co. Limited, 1946. 20 plus chapters including: 1. The pioneers, the Scottish Glengarrians and the German Palatines. 2. Rumblings in the Thirteen Colonies. 3. The American Revolution. 4. The settlement of the counties. 5. The Constitutional Act 1791 and some of its aftermaths. 6. The turn of the century. 7. The Fourth, Fifth and Sixth Parliaments and the War of 1812-14. etc. Open access at https://archive.org/details/stormontdundasgl0000hark/mode/2up
Available at the SD&G Library, from several branches for consultation https://sdglibrary.bibliocommons.com/v2/record/S167C36826
Iroquois High School, Iroquois, Ontario, 1846-1946: Anamakagowin, 1946. Commemorative volume about the Iroquois High School. Available from the Dundas County Archives https://www.southdundas.com/recreation-tourism/dundas-county-archives
Iroquois history: year of celebrations: village of Iroquois, 140th anniversary: new history, 40th anniversary, 1857-1997, souvenir book, Iroquois, ON, 1997. Available at the SD&G Library, Iroquois Branch for consultation https://sdglibrary.bibliocommons.com/v2/record/S167C35480
Iroquois Women’s Institute. Iroquois: Tweedsmuir Village History: 1912-1988, Iroquois, ON. Available at the SD&G Library, Iroquois Branch for consultation https://sdglibrary.bibliocommons.com/v2/record/S167C35478
Jackson, Robert. M.W. Locke: the famous foot doctor of Williamsburg, Ontario, Ottawa, ON: Robert Jackson, 1993. Available at the SD&G Library, Williamsburg Branch for consultation https://sdglibrary.bibliocommons.com/v2/record/S167C32509
Jones, David. A river lost: the story of the St. Lawrence Seaway [DVD], Ontario: David Jones Productions, 2006. Available at the SD&G Library, Ingleside Branch for consultation https://sdglibrary.bibliocommons.com/v2/record/S167C60597
Jordan, James. Morrisburg: a history - c. 1784-1958. Brockville, ON: Henderson Printing, 2018. Available at the SD&G Library, Morrisburg Branch for consultation https://sdglibrary.bibliocommons.com/v2/record/S167C241930
Keyes, Kay. I remember: sights & sounds of my childhood in old Morrisburg, Cornwall, ON: Angel Printing, 2002. Available at the SD&G Library, Morrisburg Branch for consultation https://sdglibrary.bibliocommons.com/v2/record/S167C220210
Léveillé-Shields, Anne-Marie. Lost villages, found communities: a pictorial history of the Lost Villages of the St. Lawrence Seaway, Cornwall, ON: Astro Printing Service, 2004. Available at the SD&G Library, from several branches for consultation https://sdglibrary.bibliocommons.com/v2/record/S167C45370
The Living River: Secrets of the St. Lawrence, from Montreal to Cornwall to Prescott, Ian Bowering & Lor Pelton, Kingston, ON: Quarry Press Inc., 2017. “This book tells stories and reveals secrets of this geographically unique historically rich section of the St. Lawrence River through numerous tales.” Available at the SD&G Library, Morrisburg Branch for consultation https://sdglibrary.bibliocommons.com/v2/record/S167C216821
Lostscapes: Visiting Old Iroquois at https://megaprojects.uwo.ca/ (the site is currently under re-construction) “Consists of a variety of interviews conducted with former homeowners, and their descendants, who hail from the “Lost Village” of Iroquois. This project features virtual walking tours of the two main thoroughfares in “old” Iroquois as they existed in 1953, five years prior to the flooding. As you walk down the streets, you hear the voices of the former villagers who, in conversation with Joy Parr, describe what life was like before the megaproject
eradicated the landscape.” (Summarized by Rosemary O’Flaherty, Concordia University).
Lostscapes: Visiting Old Iroquois [CD], created by Jon van der Veen and Joy Parr, Iroquois, ON, 2005. Available at the SD&G Library, Morrisburg Branch for consultation https://sdglibrary.bibliocommons.com/v2/record/S167C50610
Loyalists at table: 18th-century Loyalist recipes for the 21st -century kitchen, compiled by Laurie McDonald and Darlene Montgomery-Fawcett of the St. Lawrence Branch, United Empire Loyalists’ Association of Canada (UELAC), June 25, 2020. Copies are available for purchase - $20 for a paper copy and $15 for a digital file (PDF). Shipping is extra. Get yours by contacting Darlene Fawcett at email@example.com. Or, you can message her through the Facebook page: St. Lawrence Branch UELAC at https://www.facebook.com/StLawrenceUELAC
Macfarlane, Daniel. Negotiating a River: Canada, the US, and the Creation of the St. Lawrence Seaway. Vancouver, BC, UBC Press, 2014. “While the story of the St. Lawrence Seaway and Power Project is too often relegated to a footnote in Canadian history, Negotiating a River looks at the profound impacts of this megaproject, from the complex diplomatic negotiations, political manoeuvring, and environmental diplomacy to the implications on national identities and transnational relations.” Summary from UBC Press site at https://www.ubcpress.ca/negotiating-a-river. Available at the SD&G Library, Williamstown Branch for consultation https://sdglibrary.bibliocommons.com/v2/record/S167C168523
Making way for the waters: the re-location of Iroquois [DVD], Iroquois, ON, 1999. Available at the SD&G Library, Iroquois Branch for consultation https://sdglibrary.bibliocommons.com/v2/record/S167C60246
Manson, Stuart Lyall. Sacred ground: Loyalist cemeteries of Eastern Ontario, Volume One. Carleton Place, ON: Global Heritage Press, 2021. “This book describes six notable Loyalist cemeteries situated in the Eastern Ontario counties of Stormont, Dundas and Glengarry. They are: Trinity Anglican (Cornwall); St. Andrew’s Roman Catholic (St. Andrew’s West); Iroquois Point (Iroquois); Knox-St. Andrew’s United (Bainsville); Maple Grove (Cornwall), and the Pioneer Memorial (South Dundas).” https://globalgenealogy.com/countries/canada/loyalist/resources/101275.htm
Mariatown Then and Now, compiled by Phyllis H. Prosser, Gladys Duval, and Buster Clayton S. Duval, Dundas Co., 1987. Available at the SD&G Library, Iroquois Branch for consultation https://sdglibrary.bibliocommons.com/v2/record/S167C35888
Marin, Clive. Stormont, Dundas and Glengarry, 1945-1978, by Clive Marin and Frances Marin, Belleville, ON: Mika Pub. Co., 1982. “Commissioned by the United Counties Council, this book updates the previous history by J. G. Harkness. Particular attention is paid to the construction of the Seaway, and the affect on the area.” Available at the SD&G Library, from several branches for consultation https://sdglibrary.bibliocommons.com/v2/record/S167C41422
Marin, Clive. Stormont, Dundas and Glengarry, 1975-2007: A Chronicle of Our Life and Times, by Clive Marin and Frances Marin; contributing editor, Michael S. Baxendale, Maxville, ON: Optimum Publishing Intl., 2008. “This book takes up the local story from their earlier book, Stormont Dundas and Glengarry 1945-1978. J G Harkness’ Stormont Dundas and Glengarry, a History covers the era from 1784 to 1945. These United Counties are among the few in Canada to have their complete history recorded in book form.” Available at the SD&G Library, from several branches for consultation https://sdglibrary.bibliocommons.com/v2/record/S167C69914
Martin, R.W. History of the Village of Iroquois Hydro System, Iroquois, ON, 1966. Available at the SD&G Library, Iroquois Branch for consultation https://sdglibrary.bibliocommons.com/v2/record/S167C11924
McIntosh, Elizabeth A. Two Centuries of Witness, 1784-1984: a history of the seven congregations which comprise Williamsburg United Church, McIntosh, 1984. Available at the SD&G Library, Williamsburg Branch for consultation https://sdglibrary.bibliocommons.com/v2/record/S167C36396
McPhail, Mary. The telephone history of Iroquois, Ontario, 1956. Available at the SD&G Library, Iroquois Branch for consultation https://sdglibrary.bibliocommons.com/v2/record/S167C59526
Morgan, Eleanor Wickware. "Up the Front"; a story of Morrisburg, Toronto, ON: Ryerson Press, 1964. Available at the SD&G Library, Morrisburg Branch for consultation https://sdglibrary.bibliocommons.com/v2/record/S167C41475
O'Dette, Leonard A. Relics and Requiems, Ingleside, ON: the author, 1988. History of SD&G. Available at the SD&G Library, Morrisburg Branch for consultation https://sdglibrary.bibliocommons.com/v2/record/S167C35800
O’Flaherty, Rosemary. Damming the Remains: Traces of the Lost Seaway Communities, PHD Thesis at https://spectrum.library.concordia.ca/981759/1/O%27Flaherty_PhD_F2016.pdf “Damming the Remains examines the lived experience of 11,000 people who lost their homes in the 1950s to the St. Lawrence Seaway and Power Project. Ten villages on the river front were lost altogether in Eastern Ontario and northern New York State, while another five were negatively impacted. On the Canadian-side, these have become known collectively as the "Lost" and "Survivor" Villages respectively. Based on extensive archival and newspaper research, this thesis includes oral history interviews with former residents and incorporates visual evidence with considerable participant observation as well as on-the-ground exploration of the physical
remnants.” (Summary from the thesis). Iroquois is mentioned throughout.
The Old United Empire Loyalists List, originally published as the Centennial of the settlement of Upper Canada 1784-1884, By The Centennial Committee, United Empire Loyalists, Originally published by Rose Publishing Co., Toronto, 1985. This edition published by Global Heritage Press, Milton, 2005. “This book was originally compiled in 1885 for the "Centennial of the Settlement of Upper Canada". It contains the names of, and information about the thousands of United Empire Loyalist settlers, and others who left the American colonies during and after the Revolutionary War and settled, first, in 1783, in what is now New Brunswick and Nova Scotia, and then, in 1784, in Upper Canada, or what is now the Province of Ontario.” Available from the Dundas County Archives https://www.southdundas.com/recreation-tourism/dundas- county-archives or to purchase from Global Genealogy https://globalgenealogy.com/countries/canada/loyalist/resources/101360.htm
Parr, Joy. “Movement and Sound: A Walking Village Remade: Iroquois and the St. Lawrence Seaway,” in Sensing Changes: Technologies, Environments, and the Everyday, 1953-2003 (Vancouver: UBC Press, 2009). https://www.ubcpress.ca/sensing-changes
Rutley, Rosemary. Of Curds and Whey: a History of the Cheese Factories in Stormont, Dundas and Glengarry. Ingleside, ON: Old Crone Publishing, 2005. Available at the SD&G Library, from several branches for consultation https://sdglibrary.bibliocommons.com/v2/record/S167C50519
Rutley, Rosemary. Voices from the lost villages, Maxville, ON: Casa Maria Publications, 1998. “The story of the "Lost Towns" that sank beneath the waters of the then-new St. Lawrence Seaway - it is a story that is Canadian through and through. The book is a small but wonderful landmark.” Available at the SD&G Library, from several branches for consultation https://sdglibrary.bibliocommons.com/v2/record/S167C44413
Scott, Margaret. My memoirs of Stormont and Dundas Counties, Cornwall, ON: Vesta Publications, 1981. Subtitle on cover: This book covers the author’s life from 1895 to the present, including her teaching experience and life in the country. Available from SD&G Library, at the Long Sault Branch and the Morrisburg Branch https://sdglibrary.bibliocommons.com/v2/record/S167C40810
SD&G Newspaper and Photo Digitization Project at https://archive.sdgcounties.ca/index.php/ The SD&G Online Archives project is a digitized collection of local newspapers and photos dating back to the 19th Century. The project was graciously funded with the support of the United Counties of Stormont, Dundas and Glengarry. To date, more than 210,000 pages of newspaper and 2,000 photos of the Lost Villages have been digitized and made searchable via Optical Character Recognition (OCR). We encourage you to browse our collection of digitized newspapers and photos.
St. Lawrence Piks Web Site at http://stlawrencepiks.com/ “The stlawrencepiks site presents results from our interests in history and digital photography, with emphasis on the St. Lawrence region and the Morrisburg/South Dundas area where we live.” (From John Gleed of Morrisburg, ON website St. Lawrence Piks). Includes the following relevant galleries:
Iroquois, Then & Now at http://stlawrencepiks.com/historyhd/IroquoisThenNow.html
Morrisburg History at http://stlawrencepiks.com/history/
Morrisburg, Then & Now at http://stlawrencepiks.com/historyhd/ThenNow.html
Pre 1958 Maps & Aerials at http://stlawrencepiks.com/aerials/
Seaway History at http://stlawrencepiks.com/seawayhistory/
A Virtual Walk Around the Old Morrisburg Before the Seaway Flooding - Early 1950s at http://stlawrencepiks.com/historyhd/virtualtour.html
Styles, James. A history of the Friendly Brothers Lodge A.F. & A.M., No. 143 G.R.C. Iroquois, Ontario: the first one hundred years, 1861-1961, [Freemasons in Iroquois, ON]. This history was taken from the minute books of Friendly Brothers Lodge from 1861-1961. The author started writing the history in 1997 and finished in 2008.
Sunken Villages Project at https://sunkenvillages.ca/ “Twenty-seven individuals share their insights and experiences of living through the intentional destruction of their communities. These are living witnesses and their descendants whose lives are shaped by places - still alive and animated in their minds - to which they cannot return. Twenty-seven individual pages with 32 videos, 81 photographic portraits and 115 audio tracks. In their own words. See and hear these people share their thoughts, feelings and experiences of the Inundation, the loss of their homes and communities to the construction of the St Lawrence Seaway.” (Summary from Sunken Villages site). Note: With reference to South Dundas there are interviews of people from Mariatown and Morrisburg.
Thompson, Steve. The South Dundas story: the history and murals of South Dundas, Angel Printing, 2004. Available at the SD&G Library, from several branches for consultation https://sdglibrary.bibliocommons.com/v2/record/S167C46094
Treasures of the lost villages [DVD], a movie by John Earl and Frank Burrelle, Cornwall, ON: Fishrizzo Productions, 2008. “For local filmmakers John Earle and Frank Burelle, one trip back in time wasn't enough. With Treasures of The Lost Villages, the duo returns to the sites previously explored in their first documentary film, Submerged. "There was just too much material to put into one film," says Earle. Burelle quickly adds, "There were so many more stories that needed to be told." Available at the SD&G Library, Chesterville Branch for consultation https://sdglibrary.bibliocommons.com/v2/record/S167C139293
VanderBaaren, Klaas. St. John's Church, Riverside Heights: 200 years, 1980. Available at the SD&G Library, Ingleside Branch for consultation https://sdglibrary.bibliocommons.com/v2/record/S167C36890
A walk down memory lane: St. John the Baptist Anglican Church Iroquois, Iroquois, ON, 2007. October, 2007. The 50th anniversary of the building of the present St. John the Baptist Church. Available at the SD&G Library, Iroquois Branch for consultation https://sdglibrary.bibliocommons.com/v2/record/S167C64298
Williamsburg: Tweedsmuir village history, compiled by the Williamsburg Women’s Institute, Belleville, ON: Mika Publishing, 1984. Available at the SD&G Library, from several branches for consultation https://sdglibrary.bibliocommons.com/v2/record/S167C37098